It might be hard i imagine, but it has been over a year since Occupy Wall Street became an international phenomena and disappeared into the night almost as quickly. The Partnership for Civil Justice has requested and provided documentation of how the crackdown on OWS went down. The Guardian is reporting that it includes a frightening collaboration between the Department of Homeland Security, the FBI, local police, but more importantly, bank and Wall Street interests.
Without getting into too much detail, the article make everything clear, is anyone surprised that those who would lose the most due to the protests were behind the sometimes violent crackdown? Activists for Occupy have been called terrorists in these documents; will America stand by as its citizens are called terrorists for exercising their First Amendment rights? It’s time to grow up and deal with the harsh realities of this world, those in power do not give it up freely. They will do anything that they can to maintain power, including twisting the law to their purpose.
People continue to think that the 99% vs the 1% is an economic problem, but it is not; it is a cultural problem. On one side of our mouths we proclaim the ideals of economic equality, but on the other people continue to look to be a part of the rich and elite. Our desires betray our conscience.
The issues in America, and probably the world, are not about the division of resources, but an all pervading ignorance to the forces that shape our minds and lives. People will never have that chance unless they have a good understanding of how those forces really affect their lives on a macro and micro level; whether people choose a Capitalistic system or something else, the important point is their ability to choose. All too often opinions are shaped from a shallow, and factually incorrect, understanding of the causes and conditions that give rise to inequality. The solution to inequality is not grand statements on the worlds streets, but an all-pervasive initiate to continue to educate the public on those forces generation after generation. Economic inequality will not be fixed by brawn or threats, but by education and understanding. Occupy Wall Street lost this fight when they claimed to be the mouth of the 99% without actually getting unilateral support from the 99%. No matter what they believe the 99% should stand for, they can not represent a group of people who are divided on their opinions about wealth, fame and power.
If the 99% come to an agreement on a vision of the world that promotes peace, compassion and compromise, the 1% will never be able to hold their heads high and lead the lives they do. The cultural implication of the 99% will do more to effect the 1% than vice-versa. Right now it is the 1% who culturally affects the 99%, promising them riches and a better life if they work hard. Minds are influenced via the media, commercials, movies, books, and the general attitudes that comes from the gatekeepers of modern culture; these are the forces that shapes the character of the young. Every one wants to be a celebrity without pausing to consider if it plausible and or desirable.
The true power of the lower and middle classes is an emphasis on family, community, culture, and cooperation that is not seen as desirable in the lives of the cutthroat elite. As long as the 99% allow their culture to be compromised, a movement such as OWS will never have chance to stand against the might of the 1%. The 99% cannot combat the 1% through power or the will to power, but only with compassion and community. I think history shows that those forces are much stronger. After all we are not enemies but brothers and sisters. Resources do not break those bonds, even if we choose to ignore them.
Our authors want to hear from you! Click to leave a comment
I’m sure the entire business community happily cooperated with police to remove the filth, foul conduct, and theft that plagued the encampments of the OWS vagrants. If OWS was truly a legit group, they’d have formed an active political agenda, become truly organized, and be making a difference in politics. They were and are mostly a bunch of kids out to find a cheaper way to party than following a Phish concert.